Before starting your application, please read the following:
A. The online application must be completed in one session, as you will not be able to save and returned at a later time.
B. If the application is deemed incomplete, you will receive an email indicating the required/missing information or forms.
C. Payment will not be required until your application has been accepted. You will receive an email verifying the receipt
of application, the amount due, and instructions on how to make payment online.
Please have the following items ready as they pertain to your business.
1. Fictitious Business Name Statement- if you are using a DBA (Doing Business As)
2. County Land Use Verification, Home Occupancy Form, or Short-Term Rental Permit
3. Federal Tax ID or Social Security Number
4. Secretary of State Corporate or LLC Entity Number
5. Seller's Permit (required for all retail or wholesale businesses)
6. Professional State License Number(s) (if applicable)
7. County Environmental Health Permit (if applicable)
8. County Tobacco Vendor License (if applicable)
9. Alcohol Beverage Vendor License (if applicable)
Chapter 64-14 – Business License Tax
§ 64-14.802 – Rates
§ 64-14.804 – Penalties and interest
Per AB 2184, you may protect your residential address by providing a different Service of Process address
in accordance with Sections 16000.1(a)(2) and 16100.1(a)(2) of the Business and Professions Code.
To do so, please visit the Business License office to apply.
Pursuant to California Government Code 4467(a)(2)(A), any applicant for a local business license or
equivalent instrument or permit, and any applicant for the renewal of a business license or equivalent
instrument or permit, shall pay an additional fee of four dollars ($4) for that license, instrument, or permit,
which shall be collected by the city, county, or city and county that issued the license, instrument, or permit.
Contra Costa County would like to welcome you to its business community.
We know that starting a new business can be exciting and challenging.
We wish you the greatest success in your new venture!
If you need any assistance with the application process, please call (925) 957-5280.